Wednesday, May 25, 2011

we like to text

There's something almost magical about the "buzz, buzz, buzz," of my cell phone every time I get a new text message.  This buzzing makes me happy.  Someone wants to talk to me, who could it be?  I know that I'm not alone in this.  We like to text!  Some of us enjoy it because it's simple, takes much less time than a phone call.  Texting allows us to multitask.  Some of us also like texting because we can have conversations that last for hours and hours.  We go about our days with cell phones in our pockets, constantly shooting messages that may or may not have substance back and forth.  We love it!  We also like our other forms of instant communication: skype, email, instant messaging...why?  I love talking to people in person, but at times seem almost addicted to "text-talking."  And I know many individuals who are even worse than me with it!  I want to explore this about myself.  Could it be that my enthusiasm for being able to talk to someone always is part of my nature as a human being.  God did not create us to do life alone, and more importantly, he did not create us to do life without his continued guidance.  See, there is someone who I'm supposed to be constantly communicating with.  I love the instantaneous conversation, because God has put it in my heart to love it.  We're commanded to "pray without ceasing."  The connection should always be open.  Prayer links us immediately to our God and, much like texting can be done anytime any where (okay, so I wouldn't suggest texting while skydiving or taking your SAT, both places you can/definitely should pray, but you get my drift).  Unlike texting though, the results of prayer are always fruitful even when we can't see them.  Also, during prayer, you know the person on the other end is giving you His undivided attention.

No comments: