Wednesday, November 10, 2010

On I hear you, I see you

I recently had a slight problem in one of my classes. I emailed my prof about it and never heard anything back. When I asked her about my situation at the next class session, she told me not to worry about it, that it would get resolved. I thanked her but asked if she could reply to my email anyway, "I have been having issues with my messages not being received and I want to make sure my email is working properly." That was a complete lie. My email was working fine...I was just wanted a response. She never did reply to that email, or resolve (so I thought) the issue. So a couple weeks later, I sent another message. People are busy, especially profs, right? It makes sense that one email got overlooked. Still no response after the second email and I'm starting to get upset. I need this problem solved. My third, and slightly more direct (fine rude!) email finally solicited a reply. In reading her message, I found no resolution to my problem, but still I was elated. Despite the fact that she had provided basically no help, I was thrilled to receive a response. Why did this matter to me so much? Apparently (because now I'm completely at ease) I cared more about receiving some kind of acknowledgement than I did resolving the problem. Again, why? The idea that I was not being heard made me extremely uncomfortable. How did you miss my messages? Even a quick reply of "I don't know" would have placated me. When my prof finally did respond, I relaxed and realized how obnoxiously single minded I appeared. I needed that acknowledgement! That, "I hear you, I see you." Is that due to a personal insecurity...or is this a natural thing? I know that there's no perfect analogy, but I feel like this situation has some faith applications. Can you think of somebody else who often has to go without getting acknowledged? Doesn't it just sting a little when you get that, "Wow, now you know how I feel everyday" ? Geez, huh? I hear You, I see You.

2 comments:

Adam Colter said...

is the need to be acknowledged morally neutral? simply human nature? or is it something we should grow out of as we grow in faith that God acknowledges us and that's enough? is there a level of faith at which the indivisual no longer feels that need? am i commenting on this blog post just to assuage the author's need for acknowledgment? :) (No!)
i certainly know mature Christians who act as if they are not seeking acknowledgment, but that doesn't prove anything, does it?
i feel this need.
in fact, i'm sure there's a connection to this topic and the draw of social networking media.
Answers, i have none. but my conscience does nudge me in the direction that there is something self-absorbed about needing "I hear you, I see you" from anyone other that God. On the other hand, He put us here together, established communities in which are to live together (Family, Church) possibly just for this reason. So that we may give each other the attention, acceptance, recognition of humanity, we all need.

lindsey said...

Interesting thoughts. And yet another facet: regardless of whether the need is self-absorbed, or just plain needy, I think that part of our job as Christians living in community is to help others out with this need. Shoe them that they matter to us, we hear and see them, and most importantly point them to God and the idea that they matter TO HIM.